Door Handle Pressure Mapping System
PPS Door Handle Tactile Sensor System provides pressure mapping data that can be correlated to the level of comfort and feel that drivers and passengers experience when they grasp automotive door handles. Designers can objectively quantify a driver’s sense of touch when they interact with different car handles to understand why some door handles are perceived by users to be more comfortable or of higher quality than others.
For automotive manufacturers that develop ergonomic door handles for an improved driver experience, our flexible sensor materials allow us to provide custom sensor designs that provide reliable, repeatable, and sensitive output for a curved door handle surface. These strip sensors are mounted by the customer in simple manner on the door handle. The solution also features wireless capabilities and provides parallel output from 5 sensors at one time.
The system consists of five door handle sensors of three different designs coupled with rechargeable interface electronics with Bluetooth connectivity that is used to attach to a computer. The system runs PPS’s Chameleon image capture and analysis software. This industry-leading software is fully featured which means it can export replay, save test data, and perform analysis functions. Chameleon can also record and playback video with your data results for even greater insight and analysis.
KEY SYSTEM FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
- 5 highly sensitive, flexible-material tactile sensors with stable and repeatable sensor output that can be used even on curved surfaces, so testing is not constrained by door handle design.
- Compact wireless Bluetooth electronics provides simple and easy to use set up with minimal wires.
- Customer mount, removable sensors allow engineers to locate sensors in the active area of interest for any handle design, and the sensors can be reused to test multiple designs.
- High performance capacitive sensing technology saves time and improves results by significantly reducing recalibration and repeated tests allowing developers to resolve problems and answer questions faster. Twice the repeatability, 5x better minimum pressure detection, and 50% better pressure sensing resolution compared to typical resistive tactile sensor technologies.
- SPI serial digital sensor output ideal for OEM integration. Customers can integrate the system into their door handles in simple fashion.
- Chameleon Visualization Software provides intuitive, easy to use, high-quality visualization, and easy access to data for analysis and export to other applications. The software is fully featured which means export, replay, save, and analysis functions are included with every system, unlike competitors who require a paid upgrade for these features.