Nip Roller Pressure Measurement System
PPS’s Nip Pressure Measurement System uses tactile sensors to accurately and quickly measure pressure between nip roller profiles in industrial machinery to correct misalignment issues and uneven pressure distribution.
The Nip Roller Pressure Measurement System was designed for manufacturers that use nip rollers, nip roller machine companies, and roller covering companies. These users want to reliably image and quantify the pressures of the nip interface between two rollers to check alignment, identify defects, and/or detect wear at room or operating temperatures. The Nip Roller Pressure Measurement System reduces machine set up and maintenance time and product scrap by having more accurate information on roll alignment.
Precision Measurements At High Temperatures
Unlike other systems on the market, PPS’s tactarray sensor has the ability to operate in high temperature and pressures coupled with thermal compensation allows testing at any temperature in non-static conditions. It also provides a reusable system with real-time feedback, offering a sensor that is more sensitive than competition while providing stable output measurements.
The Nip Roller Pressure Measurement System includes a single Nip Roller Pressure Sensor of a chosen design with 1.5m cable. Using the included T4500 electronics with USB 2.0 interface to attach to a computer, the system runs PPS’s Chameleon image capture and analysis software. This industry-leading software is fully featured which means it can export replay, save test data, and perform analysis functions. Chameleon can also record and playback video with your data results for even greater insight and analysis.
KEY SYSTEM FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
- Displays roll nip pressure measurement data in real-time, allowing users to make immediate adjustments to correct alignment or other defects.
- Capture and save data for further analysis, providing objective documentation for comparison between different machines.
- Stable and sensitive output results in better quality data to reduce product scrap and wear.
- High performance capacitive sensing technology saves time and improves results by significantly reducing recalibration and repeated tests allowing developers to resolve problems and answer questions faster. Twice the repeatability, 5x better minimum pressure detection, and 50% better pressure sensing resolution compared to typical resistive tactile sensor technologies.
- Optional Thermal compensation for accurate data measurement without waiting for cool down time allows users to test rollers without waiting for temperature to stabilize, saving time and increasing productivity.
- Chameleon Visualization Software provides intuitive, easy to use, high-quality visualization, and easy access to data for analysis and export to other applications. The software is fully featured which means export, replay, save, and analysis functions are included with every system, unlike competitors who require a paid upgrade for these features.
Application: High temperature Nip/Roller Pressures
Most common solutions for nip width and pressure measurement are disposable pressure-sensitive films.
FujiXerox looked for a solution that could be used repeatedly and can provide accurate data on pressure variations across or along the nip in high temperature conditions.
PPS delivered an Industrial TactArray Solution.
PPS solution provided a reusable system with real-time feedback, offering a sensor that was more sensitive than competition while providing stable output measurements.
The system withstands high temperature required to simulate certain printing environments.
Using Chameleon software, the customer was able to reliably image and capture nip interface between two rollers to check alignment, identify defects, and/or detect wear.